Our Commitment to Sustainability
The Ship Inn encourages and embraces the concepts of sustainability. Where practical, we prefer suppliers who support this crucial action in growing a more sustainable future for generations to come. We prefer local and seasonal products, and have a preference for organic and biodynamic. Many of our products are sourced from a 200km radius of The Ship Inn.
Some achievements so far include:
- Our lamb is locally sourced from Queensland and northern New South Wales.
- Our beef is locally sourced.
- We source local fruit and vegetables where possible.
- Our eggs are free range and locally laid.
- Our coffee is organic and sourced by Aromas’s coffee under the Rainforest Alliance.
- Our olive oil is Australian grown and produced.
- Our macadamia nuts are grown in Queensland.
- We use Maleny Dairies milk and cream, a small family owned business located just 93km from the Ship Inn.
- We use honey from the Sunshine Coast.
- We sell Mount Warning sparkling water which is organic and certified carbon neutral.
- We stock Oyster Bay and Lawsons Dry Hills wine - Members of Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand since 1996.
- We are proud to support local and independent breweries and stock a range of craft beers and ciders.
- We use biodegradable coffee cups with recyclable lids.
- We use recycled and green paper products.
- We are in the process of replacing our light bulbs with energy efficient equivalents.
- Our cooking oil is recycled and converted to biodiesel.
- We achieved EcoBiz Partnership at the start of 2012, recognizing our efforts to reduce energy, waste and water consumption.
- We were presented with the Business South Bank Sustainability Award in 2012.